When Your Laptop Will Not Boot. What Do You Do?
For starters …
Now we have that out of the way, take a deep breath and read on for how to get back to work with your laptop, painlessly.
Before we get to the several steps to cure this I’m sure you are thinking,
“I’m so glad I keep all my data in a backup on an external hard drive and in the cloud”
Right? No, well you might want to consider it for those situations where the hardware has actually suffered damage.
In this case, you shut down your PC before as usual and now inexplicably your laptop will not boot. There were no power surges or faulty batteries, nothing that might cause actual damage.
Here’s what you should try: –
- Unplug the power supply from both the wall socket and from the laptop.
- Unplug any peripherals, flash drives or other connected to the laptop.
- Detach the battery from the back of the laptop.
- Now the laptop has no available power press your finger (or thumb) onto the power on button and hold down for about 1 minute.
- Take your finger off the power on button.
- Replace the battery and the power supply.
- To be safe plug into a different wall socket.
- Now press the power on button to boot as normal.
Your laptop should boot as normal.
This process is a kind of reset and should work for most laptops.
The Warptest POV
This is one of those mysterious PC techie bits of voodoo that wows or befuddles most users. As I said, the important things to take away from this kind of experience are: –
Hopefully this solved your “laptop will not boot” woes. If you have any other tips like this I’d love to hear them.